FEATURE FILM WRITING
A practical hands-on one-on-one mentoring course designed to provide the theoretical framework, tools techniques and rigorous writing practice under the guidance of the Course Director for the participant to produce a feature length screenplay by the end of the course.
Participants will begin their journey of developing themselves to write for the screen beginning with generation of diverse ideas.
Once the idea or basic story line is selected, they will begin to use the principles and tools of drama and screenwriting to expand it into a full-fledged screenplay from a story of their choice.
They will be trained to do in-depth research on the subject of their story, the physical environment of the film where it is set and the characters that inhabit the film. The learning will include developing observational skills, people skills and research skills.
They will be exposed to the cinematic language through the analysis and study of a selection of specially curated feature length films and their scripts.
In-depth discussions on the art and craft of filmmaking will allow them to find their own expression in the language of cinema. They will learn to visualize and create imagery and emotion through visuals and sound.
They will have additional inputs on human behaviour, communication, integrity and professionalism.
They will learn to use the Screenwriting software and write in the standard international format.
The participants will learn to apply the basics of storytelling and drama to their own stories, covering the following:
- Development of plot, sub-plots and turning points.
- Creation of Primary, Secondary and Tertiary characters
- Character development – character back story and arc.
- Development of Conflicts – use of external and internal conflicts.
- Understanding shot, scene and sequence
- Pacing the screenplay
- Understanding scene breakdown
- Use of songs if any
One-on-one mentoring will be made available in class online and offline with the Course Director for the writing submissions.
Over the Course students will have written a detailed screenplay of the film with dialogues. They will also have written the logline, and synopsis and learnt to do a presentation with inputs in pitching.
They will get insights into the functioning of the film industry and career guidance.
The submitted work will be evaluated by the Course Director/s and an external examiner.
Certificate of Participation will be given only to those students who will complete the course with 90% attendance and complete all assignments.
Number of Seats: 4 only on a first-come first-served basis subject to clearing the selection process.
- Our commitment to nurture the unique strengths of our participants and have them transform themselves into creative and engaging feature film writers.
- Our stand to see them fulfill their aspirations inside a new future.
Medium of Learning
The medium of instruction will be English. However, participants are free to write in the following languages - English, Hindi, Marathi and Kannada.
Selected candidates will be sent an email informing them of their selection for the course. The admission gets confirmed on payment of the full course fee within 7 days of receiving the selection email.
A serious feature film writer needs passion, persistence, observational skills, research skills, commitment and many other qualities. We are looking for committed writers who have the potential to excel at a national and a global level.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
We are looking for candidates with an aptitude and ambition to make an impact in the society and in the world of media & entertainment through their writing. Passionate, dedicated and out of the box thinkers are encouraged to apply. Anyone above the age of 18 years regardless of his/her graduation status fulfilling the above criteria could also be considered.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Application Form – Candidates desirous of seeking admissions should fill the Part 1 Application Form online and make the application fee payment of Rs.500/-. The Part II Application form needs to be submitted online within 7 days.
As a part of the Part II Application Form, candidates are expected to write a story of 1 – 3 pages and a short fiction screenplay of not more than 10 minutes.
2. Personal Interview – Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview which could be in an online /in person format depending upon the pandemic situation.
This is an online course and will be conducted via Google classroom and Google meet.
- Please note that the course is rigorous and you will need to write extensively.
- Though the class time online is 4 hours you will need to have sometime offline as well. Offline time: 4-5 days with a minimum of 2-3 hours per day to write or watch a film.
- Please ensure that you have a laptop that works efficiently.
- Please make sure you have a good internet connection/Wi-Fi connectivity and minimum 12 Mbps speed, minimum 8GB internet pack per day.
A critically acclaimed award-winning filmmaker, Arunaraje is a writer, editor, director and producer. Winner of 5 National Awards. She passed out of the Film Institute of India with a gold medal and was the first trained girl technician to come out of the Institute and the first woman technician in the film industry. Actively involved in film education, she has been a part of decision-making bodies and teaching the subjects of Screenwriting, Direction, Editing & Production in many film schools including Film & Television Institute of India, Pune and Whistling Woods International Film School, heading the Academics as Vice-President, as well as the Direction department in the past.