BASICS OF SCREENWRITING
A practical hands-on, one-on-one mentoring, writing course designed to provide both theory & practice under the guidance of the Course Director and her Associate.
Students will begin their journey of developing themselves to write for the screen from generating ideas to a formatted screenplay.
- Learn the basics of storytelling, drama and characterisation
- Understand the concepts of plots, sub-plots, characters and conflicts
- Understand the basics of subtext and semiotics
- Deeper understanding of the language of cinema through exposure to short and long films
- Introduction and practice of using screenwriting softwares
Creating imagery and emotion through visuals and sound is a critical part of the teaching. Participants will have additional inputs on human behaviour, communication, integrity and professionalism. Other topics will include developing observational skills, people skills and research skills.
Over the course students will have written a one-page short story, a scene with dialogues, a character sketch, done a break-down of a story into scenes, a short fiction film of 5 mins and a detailed screenplay of Premchand’s ‘Kafan’ (The Shroud).
This is an Online Course and will be conducted via Google Classroom and Google Meet
- Please note that the course is rigorous and you will need to write extensively.
- Though the class time online is 5 hours you will need to have sometime offline as well. Offline time: minimum 2-3 hours daily to write or watch a film.
- Please ensure you have a laptop that works efficiently.
- Please make sure you have good internet connection / Wi-Fi connectivity and minimum 12 Mbps speed, minimum 8 GB internet pack per day.
A critically acclaimed award-winning filmmaker, Arunaraje is a writer, editor, director and producer. Winner of 5 National Awards. She passed out of the Film Institute of India with a gold medal and was the first trained girl technician to come out of the Institute and the first woman technician in the film industry. Actively involved in film education, she has been a part of decision-making bodies and teaching the subjects of Screenwriting, Direction, Editing & Production in many film schools including Film & Television Institute of India, Pune and Whistling Woods International Film School, heading the Academics as Vice-President, as well as the Direction department in the past.